Spring is here, and that means flipping your decor. And if you love to DIY, I have the perfect project for you today. Make this adorable spring fake cake to add some “aww” to your warm-weather decor. These would also be so cute for a spring wedding. Here goes!
This post contains affiliate links, and purchases help our Virginia weddings blog grow. Thank you!
Supplies for a Spring Fake Cake
- Floral foam discs – 6 total
- Lightweight spackling in a light color
- Paint in your color of choice
- Disposable container for mixing
- Disposable tool for mixing or old spatula
- Plastic knife
- Floral picks and stems of your choosing
- Faux greens
- Hot glue gun and sticks
Steps for Making a Faux Spring Cake
- Stack your foam discs on top of each other.
- Hot glue the discs together on the surface of the discs.
- Place spackling into a disposable bowl using an old spatula or disposable tool.
- Add 3-4 tablespoons of paint to the spackling.
- Fold in the paint to mix it, and add more if needed for color depth.
- Use the plastic knife to transfer the colored spackling onto the spring faux cake.
- Spread the colored spackling while leaving texture to make it look like real icing.
- Allow drying for 24-48 hours in a space that is warm and dry.
- In the meantime, create the bunny ears for the spring fake cake.
- Begin by gluing two 4″ pieces of leafy greenery stems to create a point.
- Repeat this step to make two ears.
- While the faux cake is drying, add the ears by puncturing them into the foam.
- To finish the cake — whether wet or dry — remove the stem of the floral and add it to the cake .
- Voila! Place your adorable fake cake on a cake stand or somewhere else in your home.
Finished Spring Decor DIY Project
Save our spring decoration DIY project!
Love this? Then save it! It’s an adorable yet easy spring DIY for the home that you can use as a feature. Place it in your kitchen, dining room, or entryway.
I guarantee folks will salivate and be wowed by the fact that it’s a fake cake! It looks really convincing but is something you can use year after year.
DebbieThis is so cute! You do a great job explaining in step-by-step detail how to make an adorable spring fake cake. Fun ideas!
BryanFun idea for a permanent decoration! The icing, spread the way it days, makes it look real. Just don’t take a bite
KimberleyWow, that Spring Faux Cake is absolutely gorgeous! I love how realistic it looks and the pastel colors are perfect for spring. I’d totally take a bite of it, haha
StephanieThis is such a cute idea! I never would have thought to make a fake cake for display, but it’s brilliant. It’s way too warm in Southern US to leave a cake on the counter for even a few hours this time of the year.
BethThis is such a beautiful cake. Im not so confident with myself but your tips helped a lot.
RoseySo super cute for Spring decor. Looks fun to make too. I bet my grandbabes would try to eat it!! LOLOL
Gervin KhanWow! This cake looks like the real thing! This is such a great spring faux cake that will never get dull! Love the design too! If it’s real, it looks so delicious and very enticing!
Nicole BertrandUM…that’s adorable. And can be repurposed for a whole array for events!
Ntensibe EdgarHihi….I am so making this….of course, for the prank of it. It will be a good addition in my kitchen!
Elise Ho I was wondering what a fake cake was and now I get it. This would be a cute decoration