Lemon desserts are popular, and it’s no wonder! The tangy sweet-tartness of lemon and sugar combines to create such a fabulous flavor, which is perfect to include in a wedding shower. Our Buttermilk Lemon Cobbler is a simple-to-make, tasty treat.
FAQ About Lemon Buttermilk Cobbler
Why is this recipe also called Magic Lemon Cobbler?
Magic Lemon Cobbler goes under many names, such as Buttermilk Lemon Cobbler and Magic Lemon Buttermilk Cobbler. No matter what you call it, it’s still the same tasty dessert. But that begs the question — why call it magic?
The magic lies in the fact that the pie filling is added on top before baking. However, it ends up on the bottom after baking, hence the name Magic Lemon Cobbler.
What substitutions can be made in this recipe?
There are a few items that you can swap out if you find you don’t have them on hand. Here are a few simple switches for this easy lemon cobbler.
- Use whole milk instead of buttermilk. As a result, you won’t change the recipe much.
- Substitute freshly zested lemon for the lemon extract. Additionally, you can add both.
- Finally, finish your dessert by topping it with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream. Delish!
Why is this a good recipe for a wedding shower?
Everyone seems to enjoy lemon, especially during a spring bridal shower. From bridesmaids and groomsmen to the bride, groom, flower girl, and mother of the bride, lemon flavors are a favorite of so many. This delicious recipe is a crowd-pleaser.
How to Make Buttermilk Lemon Cobbler
- Serves 6
- Preparation time – 15 minutes
- Cooking time – 45 minutes
Ingredients to Make Cobbler
- 1 stick of butter
- one cup all-purpose flour
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- one cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp lemon extract
- 21-ounce can of lemon pie filling
Directions for Lemon Dessert
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Use a 9×9″ square baking dish, and place the unwrapped stick of butter in the middle.
- Place it in the oven for 3-4 minutes or until the butter is fully melted.
- Afterward, remove from oven and set aside.
- Next, in a mixing bowl, blend the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar to combine.
- Add the buttermilk and extracts to the dry mixture and whisk to combine.
- Then pour the flour/buttermilk mixture over the melted butter. Do NOT mix or stir.
- Finally, spoon the pie filling on top of the batter.
- Next, bake at 350°F until the edges are golden brown (approx 45-55 minutes).
- Cool slightly before serving.
- Finally, spoon out, top with ice cream or whipped cream, and serve.