Wedding cakes are beautiful, yet many couples are opting to serve their guests something else. If you’re having a fall wedding, learning how to make homemade apple cider donuts for your event can be well worth it. Or you could ask a local baker to make them. Either way, these sweet treats are perfect for your big day, a post-wedding brunch, or a bridal shower.
FAQ About Cider Donuts
Are apple cider donuts vegan?
Our recipe isn’t, but if you purchase vegan sugars, flour, butter, and yogurt, it can be. Also, check the ingredients in the nonpareils and candy corn if you choose to use them.
Are apple cider donuts healthy?
Not really, but they are tasty. Eating them in moderation is ok, but they’re just like any other baked good.
Do apple cider donuts need to be refrigerated?
They don’t! However, eat them within a few days to keep them fresh.
Are apple cider donuts gluten free?
Again, with a few swaps, like choosing the right flour, you can certainly adapt this recipe.
Why are they called apple cider donuts?
Because cider is an ingredient, of course!
Do apple cider donuts have cider in them?
See above. Essentially, yes!
Do apple cider donuts have dairy?
If you’re wondering “Are apple cider donuts dairy-free?” the answer is no. Our recipe has yogurt and butter, but those can be easily swapped if need be.
Are apple cider donuts baked or fried?
Ours are baked, which means they’re a bit healthier, too!
Can you freeze apple cider donuts?
You can! Wrap them properly and save them in your freezer for later.
How to Make Homemade Apple Cider Donuts
- Yield – 28 mini donuts
- Time – prep 10 minutes, bake 20 minutes
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1.5 cups flour (all-purpose or similar)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar
- 1/4 cup yogurt (plain Greek)
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extrat
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
Cider Donut Topping Ingredients
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tsp apple cider
- OPTIONAL – autumn-toned nonpareils, candy corn
Donut Making Supplies
- electric donut maker
- medium-sized bowl
- small saucepan
- wire drying rack
Apple Cider Donuts Recipe Instructions
- Use the saucepan to boil and reduce the apple cider down to 1/2 cup. Set aside so that it can cool down.
- Melt the butter in the saucepan or a microwave, and set aside.
- Use the medium bowl to mix the flour, baking powder, spices, and salt.
- Add brown sugar, egg, yogurt, and vanilla to the flour mixture.
- Mix in the melted butter until everything is a smooth batter. Set aside.
- Mix sugar and cinnamon in a small dish.
- Place butter in a shallow dish, and combine with powdered sugar and apple cider to make a glaze. Set aside.
- Spray the donut maker with oil, and heat it up.
- Spoon batter into donut maker, and make according to your maker’s instructions.
- If needed, flip the donuts according to your maker’s directions.
- Once baked, lift the donuts out using a fork and let cool on the wire rack.
- For traditional cinnamon sugar apple cider donuts, dip donuts into butter and then toss into cinnamon sugar mix. Set aside on the wire rack.
- For sprinkles, dip donuts into glaze and quickly add sprinkles or nonpareils before the glaze hardens.
- Serve when ready!