Even if you can’t make the summer Olympic games, you can gain inspiration by planning a honeymoon in one of the current or former summer Olympic cities. From European towns to Asian staples, consider heading to a town that once (or will) hosted the famous games.
Ancient Olympic games took place as far back as 776 BC in Olympia, Greece. However, the first modern Olympics weren’t held until 1896 in Athens, Greece. This international multi-sport event is an excellent opportunity to explore other countries and cultures.
Summer Olympic cities are also a great way to get inspiration for a post-wedding trip. Many current and former Olympic cities have fabulous things for tourists to do, making these locations perfect to consider for your honeymoon.
Honeymoon in These Summer Olympic Cities
Summer Olympic Cities – Past
1. London, England
Years Hosted: 1908, 1948, 2012
Things to Do in London, England
- Get a view of the entire city from the Tower of London. You can see Westminster Abbey, Big Ben, and many more historic landmarks from this lookout point.
- Stop by Buckingham Palace and see the changing of the guard.
2. Athens, Greece
Years Hosted: 1896, 2004
Things to Do in Athens, Greece
- See the Parthenon on top of the hill and overlook the city.
- Discover the ancient Agora Ruins.
3. Sydney, Australia
Year Hosted: 2000
Things to Do in Sydney, Australia
- Enjoy the Sydney Opera House.
- Swim in an infinity pool right next to the ocean at Bondi Beach. What a perfect honeymoon activity!
4. Amsterdam, Netherlands
Year Hosted: 1928
Things to Do in Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Visit the Anne Frank House and take a tour.
- Ride the Ferris Wheel in Dam Square and get a view of the city.
5. Tokyo, Japan
Years Hosted: 1940 Cancelled (WWII – Tokyo had been awarded), 1964, 2020 (postponed to 2021 due to the coronavirus pandemic)
Things to Do in Tokyo, Japan
- Dine at the epic Robot Restaurant in Tokyo.
- Ride the Shinkansen Bullet Train if you want to travel more on your honeymoon.
6. Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Year Hosted: 2016
Things to Do in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- Relax at Copacabana Beach on your honeymoon.
- See the statue of Christ the Redeemer.
7. Mexico City, Mexico
Year Hosted: 1968
Things to Do in Mexico City, Mexico
- Have a romantic honeymoon picnic in Bosque de Chapultepec.
- Watch dancers at Plaza de la Ciudadela.
8. Montreal, Canada
Year Hosted: 1976
Things to Do in Montreal, Canada
- Take a newlywed stroll in the Gardens of Light.
- Board a sunset cruise on the Saint-Lawrence River for a special honeymoon evening.
9. St. Louis, Missouri
Year Hosted: 1904
Things to Do in St. Louis, Missouri
- Stop by the St. Louis Zoo.
- Go to the Shakespeare Festival if you honeymoon in August.
Summer Olympic Cities – Future
If you’re looking for a way to time your honeymoon with the next Olympic games, there are exciting locations. These upcoming summer Olympic cities are awesome spots for a honeymoon.
You could even see the Olympic games if you schedule well in advance! If you plan on visiting during the Olympics, make sure to plan ahead as accommodations will sell out fast.
10. Paris, France
Year Hosting: 2024
Things to Do in Paris, France
- Watch the sunset (or the sunrise) at the Eiffel Tower. This is probably one of the most exciting things to do on your honeymoon!
- Enjoy a captivating cabaret.
11. Los Angeles, California
Year Hosting: 2028
Things to Do in Los Angeles, California
- Visit The Magic Castle for magic, alcohol, and a great time.
- Take a self-guided walking tour of the art galleries along Gallery Row.
- Enjoy the Farm Sanctuary.
12. Brisbane, Australia
Year Hosting: 2032
Things to Do in Brisbane, Australia
- Visit the Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary.
- Head to Eat Street Northshore for a great honeymoon meal.
Honeymoon in an Olympic Destination
Whether you’re looking for adventure or a relaxing honeymoon, consider one of these summer Olympic cities. There is something here for any type of honeymoon experience you could think of.
Whether you’re looking to plan a future honeymoon near the Olympics, or you’re just trying to visit one of the cities made famous from the Olympic games, there are exciting cities around the globe just waiting to be explored!
Photos: Zhang Kaiyv, Jamie Street, Patrick, Dan Freeman, Giovanna De Martino, Ryoji Iwata, Agustin Diaz Gargiulo, Francisco De Nova, Seb Hamel, Brittney Butler, Anthony Delanoix, Cameron Venti, Alice Duffield