It’s November and the holidays are upon us! This year get creative and make tiny pies with our delicious mini pumpkin pies recipe. Skip the Walmart pumpkin pie and make your own instead. You can do it! This is a fabulous recipe if you want to have pies instead of a wedding cake, too.
This post has affiliate links, which don’t cost you any more but helps HCB grow. Thank you!
Why use a homemade pumpkin pie recipe?
If there’s ever a time of year to spend extra time making food, it’s the holidays. Whether it’s Thanksgiving or Christmas, gathering with family and friends you don’t see often is special.
Skipping the Walmart mini pies and baking your own can be really satisfying! Not only will you have a sense of accomplishment, but the flourless pumpkin pie filling is delicious.
These are adorable and guaranteed to be a hit for your guests. Spend time making them the day before or the morning of Thanksgiving or Christmas.
Another idea is to have the ingredients ready and let everyone decorate their own. You could have a contest and see who made the most creative. What a fun family holiday activity!
Skip the Walmart mini pies and make your own with our mini pumpkin pies recipe!
Take a peek at the results from our mini pumpkin pies recipe!
Before we get started, let’s take a peek at the adorable results. Wouldn’t these be perfect for Thanksgiving or Christmas? Even Friendsgiving or another fall night that calls for something special. Too cute!
Our pumpkin pie recipe could be the hit of your Thanksgiving and Christmas celebrations!
Mini Pumpkin Pies Recipe Ingredients
- Makes: 12 mini pies
- Prep time: 45 minutes
- Bake time: 20-25 minutes
Ingredients for Flourless Pumpkin Pie Filling
- 29 ounce can of pumpkin (100% pure)
- 12 ounce can of evaporated milk
- 14 ounce can of sweetened, condensed milk
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
Flourless pumpkin pie filling makes this recipe so delicious!
Praline Topping Ingredients
- 2/3 cup chopped pecans (or get whole and chop your own)
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 6 tablespoons butter
Ingredients for Pumpkin Pie Pastry
Note: If you want to use premade pastry, that’s ok! You can just consider this a mini pumpkin pies puff pastry recipe if you choose to purchase ready-made. If you don’t have time to make it yourself, you can easily use store-bought.
- 1 1/3 cup shortening
- 4 cups of all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 10-12 tablespoons of water (you will adjust accordingly)
Baking Supplies Needed for our Pumpkin Pie Recipe
- Pie pan for miniature pies; 4″ cavity is ideal
- Seasonal, small cookie cutters; leaves, acorns, and other autumn types
- Pastry wheel
- Pastry blender
- Lattice cutter
Consider this a mini pumpkin pies puff pastry recipe if you’d rather just buy the crust.
Instructions for Our Mini Pumpkin Pies Recipe
Steps for Flourless Pumpkin Pie Filling
1. Use a large mixing bowl, and blend together the eggs, sugar, salt, and spices.
2. Add the pumpkin and blend.
3. Mix in both the sweetened, condensed milk and evaporated milk until it has a smooth consistency. Set aside.
The above steps show you how the flourless pumpkin pie filling should look before cooking.
Praline Topping Steps for Mini Pumpkin Pies Recipe
4. Use a small mixing bowl, and melt the butter for the praline topping.
5. Add the flour, brown sugar, and chopped nuts (or chop and then add).
Praline topping for pies is a crunchy, sweet treat on top of your dessert. Yum!
Steps for Making the Pastry Crust
6. In a medium mixing bowl, blend the flour and salt together.
7. Blend in the shortening using a pastry blender until pea-sized balls form.
8. Add cold water a bit at a time, tossing it together with a fork upon each addition. The mixture is ready to go once a soft ball forms.
Even if you’ve never tried to make pastry dough before, it’s fairly simple with our recipe.
9. Prepare a surface with flour, and roll your dough to a thickness of 1/4″.
10. If you have a pan that makes 4″ mini pumpkin pies, use a glass or bowl with a circumference of 4 1/2″ to cut out circles in the dough. Adjust this depending on the size pan you have.
11. Before placing the dough circles in the pan, roll them out slightly thinner prior to inserting.
12. Fill each mini pie with flourless pumpkin pie filling.
13. Decorate (ideas below!) and bake at 400 degrees F for 20-15 minutes.
Be sure to use the right size object for your pie pan.
Pastry Ideas for Our Mini Pumpkin Pies Recipe
Now it’s time to have a little bit of fun and get your creative juices flowing. Use the photos and instructions below to put a unique spin on our mini pumpkin pies recipe. Move over Walmart pumpkin pie! It’s so much more fun to create your own tiny pies.
Use your extra pastry to create the following decorative options. Either use one application for all of your miniature pumpkin pies or vary them for each tiny dessert.
Take a section of rolled out dough that is larger than your pie, and use the lattice cutter to create a pattern.
Just roll the cutter and lightly pull the edges to open up the lattice. Place on top of your pumpkin pie and trim. Here is a simple 37-second video on how to use the lattice pastry cutter if you’re unsure.
Making pastry lattice is really simple with a lattice cutter. Plus, it looks lovely!
Pastry Cutter and Seasonal Cutters
To adhere shapes together, simply add a bit of water, which will act as glue. The options are endless, so feel free to come up with truly original styles for your pie design.
Also, don’t forget about your praline topping. Use it as decor, or simply sprinkle it on top of your pies. It’s delicious!
Use your creativity as you learn how to decorate pumpkin pies with various tools.
Result of Our Mini Pumpkin Pies Recipe
Our mini pumpkin pies recipe can be made ahead of time (2-3 days, in fact!). Store covered in the fridge. Set out to get to room temperature a few hours before serving.
You could also rewarm them with the warming feature on your oven. Top with whipped cream and serve. So delicious, and what a beautiful dessert.
Simply beautiful. Irresistibly delicious. Our mini pumpkin pies recipe is so good!
Will you be using our mini pumpkin pies recipe?
If it’s your job to bring pumpkin pie to your holiday party, don’t resort to Walmart pumpkin pie! Get creative and show your talent by making our mini pumpkin pies recipe. If you don’t feel that you have talent, it’s ok! This recipe is really easy to follow.
Not only are they easy to make from scratch, but they look so cute, too. Have fun celebrating the holidays! We also have an apple pie recipe to try. So delish!