Ok, DIY bride, this is for you! If you have been searching for a bridesmaids gift or want to add a bit of panache to your bridal look, then learning how to make earrings is a perfect fit. These DIY earrings are fairly easy to make, and the way they dangle is so lovely.
This post contains affiliate links, which don’t cost more but help us to grow. Thank you!
Your wedding day is approaching, and you have thought about everything for your bridal look. Your dress and shoes have been purchased, you have had your hair and makeup consultation, but you are still searching for something extra. Why not learn how to make earrings with wire? I promise that it isn’t as hard as it sounds and just look at the results below. So stunning!
How to Make Earrings at Home
Step by step instructions will come in a bit, but first, take a peek at the pair that I made in just a few minutes. They look lovely on the bride, don’t they?
Supplies for DIY Earrings
There are several supplies you will need for this how-to. Make earrings with beads of your choice to add extra personality. I chose pearls and clear crystal, but you can use colored stones and beads – especially for your bridesmaids. So fun!
- Kidney Ear Wires – these come in a variety of different lengths
- Head Pins – if you are making earrings (for beginners especially) I would choose long ones
- Freshwater Pearls – these were my choice, but any beads will do
- Clear Crystal Beads – or beads of your choice
- Jewelry Making Tool Kit – there are huge kits out there, but the three tools in this kit are really the only ones necessary
How to Make Wire Earrings Step by Step
Ok, once you have all of the supplies for your DIY earrings in place, it’s time to get started. These are very quick (and inexpensive, frankly) to make, so I hope you have fun!
- Put your beads onto the headpin in whatever order you would like. I suggest starting with the largest bead on the bottom and place smaller beads on top.
- Take the round nose pliers and your regular pliers in hand. Grab the headpin wire about a half-inch above where the beads stop with the round nose pliers. You will keep the round nose pliers in place.
- With the regular pliers grab the end of the headpin wire. You will start to loop the wire around the headpin below where the round nose pliers are.
- Wrap the wire around and around going down the headpin. Until you can’t wrap it anymore.
- Take the extra wire from the headpin, and cut it off with the wire cutters.
- You will now have beads on the headpin with a loop at the top (or you should!). Take the loop of the headpin and thread it onto the kidney wire.
- Voila! You just learned how to make fancy earrings. Wear and enjoy (or give as gifts).
It is very hard to describe in words how to make the wire wrapped loop, so please watch this video below for further clarification. It does a much better job!
Look closely at my DIY earrings below!
If you look at the ones below, you will notice that I didn’t use a headpin. I used wire instead, which is a bit more of an advanced how to make earrings technique. The headpins are much easier to use, and the only difference is that your earrings won’t have the dangling bead at the bottom.
Also, if you are wondering how to make the jeweled barrettes in the photo, never fear! Here is a tutorial to show you how.
I hope you learned how to make earrings at home step by step.
Making earrings for beginners isn’t too hard once you get the hang of it, and the results are lovely! Take a peek at more photos below.
Would you try to make DIY earrings for your wedding day with this how-to? Make earrings with beads of your choice to personalize your bridal look. Again, head here for instructions on the jeweled hair clips.
These pieces were made for a styled shoot, and many thanks to the vendors below for making everything so lovely!
- Photography – Rhiannon Kathleen Studios
- Venue – Coverlea at Claytor Nature Center
- Dress – Celebration Bridal
- Styling – Trish Cerulli and Rhiannon England
- Jewelry – Hill City Bride
- Stationary – Cor Graphic Design
- Hair & Makeup – Emily Harris of Body Works Day Spa and Salon
- Cake – La Bella Torta
- Modeling – Azariah Helland & Joshua Person
- Florals – Cheryl’s Secret Garden