Wow! Virginia Military Institute definitely makes for a lovely wedding backdrop as you will soon see. Kyle graduated from VMI in 2015 and Lora worked at the W&L Law School for 3 years after college, so their connections to the town of Lexington are strong. They also both have close families. In fact, it was Kyle’s sister who set the two of them up. She was a bridesmaid as was Lora’s twin sister. Such a fun VMI wedding!
Here is a little of their story in Lora’s own words.
- Where and how did you meet? Through Kyle’s sister Anna, one of my closest friends. She had mentioned him before but I had brushed it off with the typical “oh I love you Anna but I don’t do setups.” Then, she brought him to a friend’s party, apparently with the intention of playing cupid all along, and the rest is history.
- How did he propose? We spent the day Christmas shopping and running errands together before Kyle went out of town that evening. We had just finished dinner and were about to part ways when he asked if he could give me my present early. I tried to object saying I didn’t have his with me and I would see him Christmas day, but he said “it would kill him to wait any longer” so I had to accept! The next thing I knew he was down on one knee. It was the biggest and best surprise of my life.
- Why did you choose this location? I have lots of family in Lexington and spent countless hours tearing around our family’s farm on ponies as youngin. After college, I lived there for three years while working at W&L’s school of law and loved every minute it. Plus, Kyle is a VMI grad and a native of Rockbridge County, so there was no question of location when it came time to wedding plan.
- What is your favorite memory from this location? Marrying the man of my dreams, hands down. Beyond that, it’s almost impossible to pick. Lexington in general is an incredibly special place. The small town feel is inescapable and irreplaceable. For example, on my way into Lee Chapel to walk down the aisle, literally seconds before the wedding, the dean of the law school who I consider a dear friend was jogging by, did a double take, ran over and gave me a huge hug then took a picture of me for his wife who was also a friend, colleague and running buddy of mine. Such a sweet small world!
Well, there you have it! I hope you enjoy this lovely VMI wedding today.
VMI Wedding Vendors:
- Photographer: Brett Denfeld Photography
- Makeup Artist: intimate u
- Bridesmaid Dresses: J.Crew
- DJ: Kevin Scott
- Floral Designer: University Florist
- Dress Store: Urban Set Bride
- Groomsman Attire: Urban Set Groom
- Reception Venue: Virginia Military Institute
- Caterer: VMI Catering